Epinephrine and Serotonin are crucial for Depression but so is GABA:
As you all know, it is essential that we have balanced and optimal amounts of the neurotransmitters.
A. We often give L-Tyrosine to make more epinephrine. It works wonders for people that have the type of depression that is accompanied by low energy, low drive of all types (including low libido), and the desire to be left alone. Dopatone Active
B. On the other hand, anxious depression with nervous energy responds better to L-Tryptophan or 5HTP
Which convert to both serotonin and melatonin. Serotone Active
C. Another critical neurotransmitter is GABA. GABA is the most important inhibitory
neurotransmitter in the brain. Low Gaba levels can lead to insomnia, depression and even epilepsy.
Depression can be associated with a host of causes and deficiencies including
Those with severe major depression would have to have Vitamin D checked to create a baseline of their
25(OH)D blood levels, be treated with doses of vitamin D adequate to raise their levels to at least 35 ng/mL for several months.
Other Supplements that may help such as SAMe (S-Adenosylmethionine).
Omega-3s, or lowering homocysteine with adequate Methyl Donors and B Vitamins to support
Blood Sugar are not cure-alls but may work wonders..
The list here of 3 types is not meant to be all inclusive but is intended to help simplify where to start.
For Type A Depression please answer the below
• How often do you have feelings of hopelessness?
• How often do you have self-destructive thoughts?
• How often do you have an inability to handle stress?
• How often do you have anger and aggression while under stress,
• How often do you feel you are not rested even after blong hours of sleep?
• How often do you prefer to isolate yourself from others?
• How often do you have unexplained lack of concern for family and friends?
• How easily are you distracted from your tasks?
• How often do you have an inability to fi nish tasks?
• How often do you feel the need to consume caffeine to stay alert?
• How often do you feel your libido has been decreased?
• How often do you lose your temper for minor reasons?
• How often do you have feelings of worthlessness?
For Type B Depression please answer the below
Are you losing your pleasure in hobbies and interests?
• How often do you feel overwhelmed with ideas to manage?
• How often do you have feelings of inner rage (anger)?
• How often do you have feelings of paranoia?
• How often do you feel sad or down for no reason?
• How often do you feel like you are not enjoying life?
• How often do you feel you lack artistic appreciation?
• How often do you feel depressed in overcast weather?
• How much are you losing your enthusiasm for your favorite activities?
• How much are you losing enjoyment for your favorite foods?
• How much are you losing your enjoyment of friendships and relationships?
• How often do you have diffi culty falling into deep restful sleep?
• How often do you have feelings of dependency on others?
• How often do you feel more susceptible to pain?
• How often do you have feelings of unprovoked anger?
• How much are you losing interest in life?
For Type C Depression please answer the below
• How often do you feel anxious or panic for no reason?
• How often do you have feelings of dread or impending doom?
• How often do you feel knots in your stomach?
• How often do you have feelings of being overwhelmed for no reason?
• How often do you have feelings of guilt about everyday decisions?
• How often does your mind feel restless?
• How difficult is it to turn your mind off when you want to relax?
• How often do you have disorganized attention?
• How often do you worry about things you were not worried about before?
• How often do you have feelings of inner tension and inner excitability?
PharmaGABA-PRO (Thorne Research )-GABA can promote relaxation without drowsiness or fatigue (which are common side effects with other products). It can also decrease salivary cortisol levels. Thornes' GABA, unlike most on the market comes from lactobacillus hilgardii , (traditionally used in kimchi preparation).
This form of GABA has been shown to outperform the synthetic varieties. Typical dose is 100-200 mg up to 3 times daily.
As with any neurotransmitter promoting substances, be careful if the person is on any prescription medications that alter neurotransmitter levels as this can over-enhance their effect. This should only and always be done under a qualified doctor's care,once okayed you may make a change as it is very often a much better alternative than some of these medications and has virtually no side effects.